HomeDocsWho is required to follow the Section 508 standards?

Who is required to follow the Section 508 standards?

The Section 508 standards are required to be followed by all federal agencies in the United States. These standards are intended to ensure that electronic and information technology (EIT) procured, developed, maintained, or used by federal agencies is accessible to people with disabilities.

In addition to federal agencies, contractors and other organizations that work with federal agencies may also be required to follow the Section 508 standards. This may include companies that provide EIT to federal agencies, as well as organizations that develop or maintain EIT on behalf of federal agencies.

The Section 508 standards are enforced by the U.S. Access Board, which is an independent federal agency that is responsible for developing and maintaining the standards. The Access Board has the authority to audit federal agencies and contractors to ensure compliance with the Section 508 standards, and can impose fines and other penalties for non-compliance.

While the Section 508 standards are specific to the U.S. federal government, many businesses and organizations choose to follow the standards in order to ensure that their EIT is accessible to people with disabilities. In addition, some states and localities have adopted the Section 508 standards or similar guidelines as the basis for their own accessibility laws and regulations.

Your website’s accessibility helps you meet more standards.

My Site Comply is an independent website remediation service provider and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by Facebook, Google, or any other third-party company mentioned on this website. The use of third-party trademarks on this site is for reference purposes only and does not imply any association with the trademark owners or their products or services. Please note that My Site Comply does not provide legal advice, and the information provided on this website should not be construed as legal advice. We recommend consulting with a qualified attorney to ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.

© My Site Comply 2024. All Rights Reserved.